Friday, June 27, 2014

EIGHT QUESTIONS BEFORE CONFRONTING A BROTHER



EIGHT QUESTIONS BEFORE CONFRONTING A BROTHER

1.      Should love hide it?
      “Hatred stirs up strife, but loves covers all sins.”(Proverb 10:12)
      “And above all things have fervent love among yourselves: for love shall cover the multitude of sins.” (I Peter 4:8)
2.      Is my attitude and motive right?
“Follow peace with all men and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord” 
  (Hebrews 12:14)
“Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God (Matthew 5:9)
a.   Am I trying to help the person? (John 15:13)
b.   Is this for God’s glory? (I Corinthians 10:31)
c.   Am I trying to get even? (Proverb 11:29)
3.      Are there past unsettled offenses?
“And why behold the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considers not the beam that is in thy own eye? Or how will thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shall thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.” (Matthew 7:3-5)   
4.      Is my timing right?
“A word spoken in due season, how good is it!” (Proverb 15:23b)
“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose…a time to keep silence, and a time to speak” (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 7)
5.      Are my words/intents loving?
“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth but that which is good to the use of edifiying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers…Let all bitterness, and wrath and anger, and clamor and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice. And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake has forgiven you.” (Ephesians 4:29 ff
6.      Have I prayed about it?
“Be anxious for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let you requests be made know unto God. And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6, 7)
7.      Is restoration to fellowship my goal?
“Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault; ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.” (Galatians 6:1)
8.      Is my pride/ego [‘sticking out’] the cause?
      Only by pride comes contention, and with the well advised is wisdom” (Proverb 13:10)

Basic Offenses: Rebellious Actions, Attitudes and Speech
1.Bitter Attitude/will you please forgive me for being bitter toward you? (Eph. 4:31; Hebrews 12:15)
2.Refusing to obey/honor parent/authority/employer/teacher/I realize I was wrong will you forgive me?
3.Complaining about parent’s actions/I realize I was wrong, will you please forgive me? 
   (Ephesians 6:1, 2)
4.Improper behavior on a date/My actions/advances were wrong, will you please forgive me? 
   (I Thessalonians 4:1ff)

Daniel’s Godly Appeal to Authority
1.Appeals with a right attitude (Daniel 1:12) “Please, let us be proved”
   *Not contentious, Not condemning, Not condescending, Not coercive
2.Offers a reasonable alternative (Daniel 1:12) “Ten days...give us pulse (veggies, seeds, grain, lentils) to eat
3.Gives final say to his master/not demanding (Daniel 1:13) “As thou seest, deal with thy servants.”


Chaplain LEWolfe  www.btmi.org  I-85 Exit 35 SC   McPilot    Stop in, and please pray for our ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment